ocean water play // learn at home.

Thursday, September 24, 2015





For the past eight years I have had at least one, sometimes two, children of learning age at home with me. I purposely keep them home through the pre-school years. I will fully admit I kept them home for selfish reasons, I know they will be in school all day long soon enough...and I want to enjoy them while I can. 

With that said, that doesn't mean we can't learn at home! I live in the mid-west and I know Jack Frost will be knocking at my door soon enough. So, while the weather is nice, I like to go outside and interact with water. 

For this activity we used items we already had at home. 

ocean/fish books
a bowl of water
blue dye to make an "ocean"
ocean friends 
sea shells


If it pertained to the ocean we included it. We began by reading our ocean books. There is power in reading books and so much learning! You don't always have to read the story word for word, sometimes we count objects on the page, sometimes we talk about colors, and sometimes we discuss animals and sounds.

After we finished the story we turned our "ocean" blue. Honestly that was Lyla's favorite part. She may or may not have gotten a little carried away with the blue dye. We then added our sea shells and ocean friends to the mix. This provided about an hour worth of play time  and imagination. 

Do you ever learn at home?
Is this something you would try? 



Blogger said...

There's an incredible new opportunity that is growing in popularity online.

Major companies are paying average people for sharing their opinions!

You can earn anywhere up to $5 - $75 per survey!

This is available to anybody from any country!