Copycat hula pie. (🙌)

Wednesday, February 28, 2018



You guys. This is heavenly. 

I mean not to toot my own horn...but TOOT TOOT! 

My husband grew up spending a lot of time on the island of Maui (lucky, I know.) I’ve had the privilege of going a few times myself. It’s great traveling with those who know their way around...know all the best places to see...and the hot spots to eat. 

Enter Hula pie. 

Hula pie is a must have...many...many...many...times while in paradise. 

I woke up this week to beautiful 70 degree weather in the middle of February...spring fever set in...hard. I was dreaming of warmth...and hula pie. 

A quick google search and trip to the store...and I was set. 

This did NOT disappoint. 

So I’m going to share it with you. 

You’ll need: 

1 package of chocolate cookies...this always makes me laugh because I’m pretty sure we all know “chocolate cookies” means Oreos. 

1/3 stick of melt butter...I think...I’m gonna be honest I did not measure how much butter I used.

1 gallon of vanilla ice cream...I used vanilla bean. 

1 jar of chocolate fudge topping (I used Hersey’s) 

1 package of macadamia nuts...a small package does just fine...be sure to save a few to sprinkle on top of the pie at the end. 

Whipped cream (I though we had some...turns out the kids used it all for hot chocolate...or just ate it straight out of the container...who knows? So, instead of going back to the store...I just did with out...honestly it wasn’t missed) 

On to the recipe! 


Ok. FIRST...you’ll need to make the pie crust. NOW you could purchase a pre-made one...but I feel like this crust really made the pie...so I wouldn’t recommend that. 

I used two sleeves of Oreos...leaving one sleeve for your snacking pleasure. 

1.) Crush cookies in food processor 

2.) Tell toddler they may NOT have a cookie before lunch.

3.) Add melted butter to crushed cookies...mix a little more.

4.) Give into Toddler’s whining...and hand them a cookie just to make the noise stop.

5.) Toddler is happy...now you can think. 

6.) Think about want a push over you are as a parent...make a mentally note to stand your ground more. 

7.) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.

8.) Press cookie mixture into pie dish.

9.) Sit around and wait for oven to heat up...and ponder about how this probably should have been the first step. 

9.) Bake 20 mins. 

10.) Remove crust  from oven and allow to cool. PLEASE allow this crust to cool all the way...or your ice cream will melt...I know...because I got impatient and I just couldn’t wait a few more minutes...and my ice cream was melting as I tried to form the cake. 











Now for the “cake” part...

1.) Set the ice cream out for a bit...15 mins. or so??? Let it soften enough to be able to scoop into a large glass bowl. 

2.) Crush the package of macadamia nuts...I suggested enlisting the toddler into this step...they truly fancy destroying things. 

3.) Mix nuts and ice cream together. 

4.) Place back in the freezer until pie crust is cooled. 

5.) Help toddler lick the spoons used to stir the ice cream.

6.) Wonder why the toddler is acting like a savage...oh wait...that’s right...sugar high. 

7.) Vow to limit the sugar intake in your house...after tonight...clearly...this dessert must be eaten...then seriously contemplate a sugar fast. #nevergonnahappen







Once crust is COOLED (remember this step!) add ice cream to dish. 



Then top with chocolate fudge and a handful of remaining macadamia nuts. 

Add whipped cream if you have any.

Freeze for at least 4-5 hours.

Grab a fork take a bite...think about NOT sharing with any of your family members...but then rethink that decision because you can’t wait to hear the affirmation they will give you as they rave about how delightful this pie is!